Thursday, September 6, 2018

Dr. Pepper Commercial


In this commercial, my group decided to use Dr. Pepper as our product. The concept of our script was that we originally wanted a more general commercial, we wanted one that had seemed a bit light-hearted and a bit like what'd you see on a television. We also wanted to add our own twist in the way that there was a subtle hint of a LGBTQA+ undertone. The two girls were supposed to be in a relationship but we didn't want that to override the commercial so we made it extremely subtle and overall up to the audience to catch. 

Our process for this film was pretty simple, we wanted to create a commercial that was pleasing to the eye and simple with not much of a plot other than having fun. The storyboards were also pretty minimal because we didn't really have a set idea of what we wanted, and we drew down some things but in reality we wanted the actors to sort of do what they wanted. I wrote the script and since there was no dialogue I had to write out the actions. The actions were very different from what had happened on set and I was not personally on set so I have no idea what happened but I think I like what they did instead of what I had written down. I was supposed to be the Casting Director, but the actors that I had talked to couldn't show up on set so the Director found other actors to fill in their place. I didn't hear of any complications from other people that were on set so I don't believe that anything happened that we didn't want. I chose the song for this commercial and I thought that it fit very well with what we wanted to portray and such. I wasn't apart of the editing process much since I created the animation at the end which took longer than I wanted it to.

I really didn't have a set production role, I was sort of bouncing around everywhere. I learned that animation is hard and you have to dedicate a lot of time to making it and getting it right. For the five guarantees, I believe that my whole group communicated well, as well as collaborated nicely. I also think that we had done extremely well at project management since we had started our project early on in the week. I'm not sure we did that great on the technical skills but I think we just did basic editing and such. I think I would have liked to be on set so I could maybe talk through some of the shots with our cinematographer and overall just speak with the director about how things should have been done differently. I think I would have kept the music the same, I think it fits well in this scenario. For lighting I thought that the limited information was something we did well on as well as the positive association and proper call to action. I'm not sure we formed an emotional connection or trust building though. I thought that we did well on having good audio with our song, since we didn't have any dialogue. I thought that the lighting was good although we had to use natural lighting which I think is probably good for what we wanted to achieve. I think that our editing was a bit choppy and I am not sure how I would change it if I could, but I think with a bit of time we could make something a bit more attractive to the eye. Overall, I was happy to create the animation for this commercial but I am also not sure how well we effectively created an advertisement for the product. Although, it was a fun topic to talk about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment