Monday, May 21, 2018

Kansas City Savior Reflection

In the Kansas City Savior, I was the Production Assistant, which means that I did odd jobs on set and did what was asked of me by others. Whether it was help with lights, coffee runs, or marking off scenes, I was the one to do it if the one who had that job wasn't there. I faced a couple challenges being the Production Assistant, mostly when the director or someone would ask me to do a job and I had no idea on how to do it and such. I learned how hard it was to actually make a film with a lot of long film days and how important it is to make sure everything is on set that needs to be. I also learned how hard it was for the Director to make everything happen, Sarah did really good on making sure everything was perfect, even though she's not the Director. I wasn't given any feedback since I was personally a PA, so I was sort of more behind the scenes. I changed my attitude real quick in the beginning of production. At first I wanted literally nothing to do with this film but then being on set really helped me understand that even if I didn't want to be there, I sort of had to. So, I just made the most of it and had a lot of fun. I personally did not really like the film, there was some parts of it that made me cringe a little bit, but then I remember the filming and being on set and how much fun we had and all the laughs and it made me sort of fall in love with the scenes. My work on set made a little bit of an impact when it comes to the scene mark off for the editor, since I marked which ones the Director wanted to use.

In class, I didn't really have a lot to do because my job is more of on set type of thing but I made the Craft Services list and got down peoples' allergies and such so we didn't get food that could potentially hurt someone. I also helped a lot with props, I would go through the script and write down what props were needed and then I would go around asking people what they could bring. I also made a lot of checklists to show what we needed before we left to go to set. When I thought I was done I usually just drew or did classwork for other classes, which I believe is still productive use of my class time. To better my work as an e-Comm student, Armin and I would go out to random places and take pictures or videos of stuff we thought were interesting.

I believe as a student, I have a strength in doing what is asked of me and I try to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible. I use this on set a lot when I have to learn what I'm doing very quickly and try to do it in a timely manner. I really need improvement on my cinematography, I am not really sure what I'm doing with that and I would like to understand.

I really liked how it was playing on a real screen in front of a ton of people, it was very surreal. I think I loved talking to the actors and joking with them on set while trying to get the scene done and just overall working with the crew. I don't think I would change anything about the premiere, I thought it was fun, even though there were some seating issues. I learned on set how tedious and how rough it is to make a film and trying to get everything perfect, especially with the weather, is rough. I think I would like to enhance my cinematography skills or another skill so I can work harder on set and understand completely what I'm doing. Overall, I really enjoyed the process of making this film on some days I hated it so much, but I thought it was fun now looking back on it. I loved watching the film and laughing at some points and cringing at others, it was interesting. I loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment