Monday, December 5, 2016

Feature Story #2 Experience

The concept of this video was to try and help people get a viewpoint on volunteering and how it can affect a community. I wanted to do this video because a dear friend of mine, Kylee Squires, had told me about how she was volunteering at a shelter and how much she loved it. She also explained how she wished there were more people volunteering there to help with adoptions and help keep the shelter tidy, and I couldn't help but try to make it into a feature story for my class. 

I believe that my narrative lead made a huge impact on the video because it gave more of a background on Kylee, and gave the audience a sort of connection so that they wouldn't be confused on who was the main subject of the video and cause that confusion to distract them from the video. Though, I only interviewed one person, it was way too busy at the shelter to get another one, I believe that Kylee gave enough information that the video didn't need a second interview. I believe that she told the story incredibly well and that she didn't need anyone else to fill any spaces she left blank. 

I had a lot of fun shooting this video, at first it was a bit complicated because my camera was having issues, but I figured out how to fix it, thanks to several Google searches. It only took about three minutes to do the interview, but I believe that it was a very well thought out process of answering in those short three minutes. After shooting the video, I decided that I would pack up my equipment, place it an a safe spot, and help around the shelter. They were all very welcoming to me and were very open to having me help. 

Editing the video was a breeze, I just simply took out the clips that were a bit incoherent to the audiences ears, and placed what I had together to attempt to make it flow. I had to use several pictures that I, thankfully, took to place in-between the clips where a jumpcut was formed. It didn't take very long to add the b-roll and make the interview flow with little to no jumpcuts and a strong concept that would keep the audience interested. 

The class seemed to really enjoy my video, they did give very good points that I didn't even think about when recording, such as the glare on the glasses, and that I need more b-roll, so I need to keep those in mind when I shoot my next video. Though, other than that, they seemed to enjoy my video, such as, where I did the interview actually at the shelter and how the dogs are behind her and such.

Overall, this video was incredibly fun for me, I got to experience volunteering for the first time and I got to use the skills that I have learned over the past semester to bring this video to top. I believe that this is one of my favorite videos I have done so far. I am incredibly proud of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment